Thursday, May 13, 2010

New Words, Loud Words

Yesterday Kemper was having trouble with his electronic microscope.  The light you put the slides over was flickering, so I suggested we try new batteries and see if that solved the problem.  I dug out the appropriate size, did the switch, and had the old ones sitting on the table.  Cannon wandered into the room, climbed up on a chair, picked one up, and said "battery" as clear as day.  I have no clue where he learned that word; it's not like we work it in to our daily conversations or anything.  It's truly a mystery.

*********

I was working on dinner the other day and Rowan came in asking for a snack.  "No, because dinner will be ready in about 10 minutes."  I turned around and found him standing right next to me with his hand in a big bag of dried cranberries.  Again I said, "I don't want you to snack right now because dinner is almost ready."  At which point he shoved a fistful of cranberries into his mouth, looking at me the entire time.  Frustrated at this point, I shouted, "Put the cranberries away!!!"  He immediately tossed them into the cabinet and said, "I heard you that time!", then hightailed it out of the kitchen.  Sheesh.  Selective hearing is going to drive me mad.

No comments: